My wife discovered an excellent recipe that is great for a “meatless Monday” in the hardy months of cold, wind, and snow.
We’ve made it a number of times now and absolutely love how quick, delicious, and nutritious it is. Sweet potatoes and black beans are both considered “superfoods,” which means that they are full of great nutrients that will make your body (and your stomach) happy! We adapted our recipe from EatingWell.com.
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced (also called a yam in the US, but any yam sold in the US isn’t a yam unless its sold at an international market or specialty food store)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- (1) 15oz can of black beans (or soak and boil dry black beans the night before for lower sodium)
- 1 cup canned, diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 and 1/3 cups of water
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add diced onion and chopped sweet potato until onion starts to brown.
- Reduce heat and add enough water to cover the chopped sweet potato. Let simmer until the chopped sweet potato pieces are soft.
- Meanwhile, heat tomato sauce and black beans (and/or kidney beans) in a large pot, add as much spices and herbs as you desire.
- Once sweet potato pieces are soft mix them into the tomato sauce with black beans.
- Serve hot with crackers, tortilla chips, or bread.
Serving size: 2 cups
Calories: 374 calories (14 g protein & 15 g fiber)